Saturday, December 4, 2010

running on water



I never live with balance
I always wake up nervous
Light comes at me sideways
I hold my breath forever--Bruce Cockburn

the restless soul
is not stagnant
i dreamed last night i walked on water
no,
i dreamed last night i ran on water
as i high stepped across the windy waves to shore,
i kept thinking,
i am going to sink any second..
but i didn't.
i even stomped the water a couple of times..
i felt fear, anxiety, joy, wonder, and curiosity
Jesus was not in the dream...
but i remember thinking as i ran..
"i must not look at the waves around me,
only at the shore."
there were friends, some of you even,
you were watching from the shore,
urging me on..
as if you had already made this journey
once on shore i felt relief..
but also a tinge of sadness,
i wanted to do it again..

wkm
Oxford MS

No comments: