Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Joy

Love Jesus, love Him very much, but to do this, be ready to love sacrifice more.--St. Pio
 
When I was with the Friars of the Renewal in New York, I saw the joy of sacrifice. These men from all over the world, with varied backgrounds, come together to dedicate themselves to serving Jesus through the poor and forgotten. They do this by example more than any other way. Each man wears the drab gray robe of St. Francis. Rosaries hang from their waste, and huge crucifixes dangle with every step. They own nothing except a robe, rosary, bible, and prayer book. They greet everyone the same way, with an authentic and genuine warmth, and eyes of child like interest. They fed me, gave me shelter, and we sat till 2:00 in the morning talking about the world and music. They have given everything to follow Jesus, and Jesus has given them His peace, His humility, and His joy. If there is one word to describe these modern day vagabonds for God, it is joy. I am challenged in my world of attachment to learn to love sacrifice. I want to be as detached as possible from the things that keep me from knowing the real joy of Jesus that these simple disciples carry and give away wherever they go. St. Pio, pray for us.
 
wkm
 
St. Pio of Pietrelcina

No comments: