Monday, November 3, 2008

Outside the Box

Every family should have a room where Christ is welcome in the person of the hungry and thirsty stranger.---St. John Chrysostom (4th century)
 
Wouldn't it be amazing if every home that knew Jesus as Lord were this concerned with the lonely and those in need? The 25th chapter of Matthew is where St. John Chrysostom gained this wisdom of caring for the stranger. Jesus said, "When I was hungry you took me in...If you do it unto the least of these, you do it unto me." Jesus went on to say that those who had lived this way in this life will inherit eternal life in the one to come. Those who do not feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the lonely, will not inherit eternal life, but will be separated from Him and His Father. He is very clear in this. This is all very sobering and should fill us with great zeal in living for Jesus. Not for fear of being separated, but for the great promise of being with The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit forever, sharing in Their perfect love! This lifestyle is a great challenge in our selfish I-pod, I-mac, I-tunes, I-I-I generation. For the sake of souls, ours and others, we must think outside the box of "I."
 
wkm
 
St. John Chrysostom

No comments: