Thursday, January 29, 2009

Confession

Love, then do what you will.---St. Augustine
 
When I was confirmed in the Catholic Church, I chose St. Augustine as my Patron Saint. I did it for a very basic reason, he was transparent. In many ways he was simple, yet, he may be one of the most complex figures in the history of the Church. All of these things drew me to him, and I wanted his help to be an honest child of God. After 3 years in the Church, I have learned so much from my Patron. First, I have learned that he chose me, I did not choose him. I know this sounds very esoteric and mystical, but I believe it. Jesus knew that I needed someone praying for me with a heart of confession. Jesus knew I needed someone who would teach me to dig and see myself honestly, instead of manipulating the situation and those around me. This is one of my great weaknesses. Jesus gave me St. Augustine so that I would learn to candidly lay everything before Him as I walk this path. Augustine is teaching me that there is no use in playing games with God. He always wins. If I love, truly love, then I can be transparent and honest about all that I feel and struggle with. St. Augustine said this too, "O Lord, You know me better than I know myself."
 
wkm
 

No comments: