Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gran Torino



"When our desires are not satisfied, they grow stronger,

 and become stronger they take hold of their object."---Gregory the Great, pope

The music is always playing somewhere..
there was a time when it wasn't so easy to find
do we remember when we waited for the release?,,
Then made our way to the Record Store..
In Meridian Ms it was the Music Emporium.
The coolest record store/head shop
I skipped school, I was 15, already had my license..
I drove a 1973 Gran Torino...it was HUGE..
the hood of the car was larger than the Yaris I sometimes drive now...
It was the ugliest brownish color., 5 miles to the gallon.
The Music Emporium opened at 10:00..
I was there at 9:45..
The album was "Regatta Leblanc" by The Police..
The guy running the shop knew me..he knew I was skipping school..
When I walked in he was getting the album out of the box..
He handed it to me and I paid him..
I sat in the car with the LP reading the titles on the back..
all new songs I had never heard before..
tore the plastic wrap and pulled out the sleeve holding the pristine vinyl treasure..
The art work on those sleeves was incredible..
I drove to my house 20 blocks away to 42nd...
My mom had already left for work..
I sat the needle down and heard..
"Just a castaway, I am lost at sea oh!"
wow.

wkm
Nashville






No comments: