Friday, December 23, 2011

the Virgin

there is a sense of something coming tonight
one night away from the happening that has affected everything
 
Tradition says in St. Andrew's prayer that God was born at midnight
in the cold darkness of Bethlehem two thousand years ago to a young girl as pure as the falling snow
 
tonight in Mississippi where Choctaw once lived before we got here
shoppers are out using credit cards as if somehow believing in Jesus means prosperity, possibly?
 
When we walked in the woods this morning with Jack, Pig, and Maggie ( a dog we are taking care of)
We felt joy in the loneliness of the woods and trails we had never discovered before
 
Pecan crusted fried Brook Trout came very close to making me weep tonight
That and the white rice filled with crawfish and lobster it swam upon, I am a fan of art food
 
If you have never been to Oxford Mississippi on a winter's night please pray about it
One of our cats just came over to where I am writing this and lay down at my feet
 
I am still amazed at the beauty of the Virgin and her complete dedication to birthing this mystery Child
I have nothing against atheist or agnostics when we talk about this kind of stuff, it can all be accepted only by grace anyway
 
I am about to walk outside and look up at the winter stars
If you want o join me that would be fine.
 
wkm
Oxford MS, thank God.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: