Saturday, September 13, 2008

Storms

"The waters have risen and severe storms are upon us, but we do not fear drowning, for we stand firmly upon a rock."----St. John Chrysostom 407 A.D.
 
This quote is from today's Liturgy of the Hours. It was written in the 5th century by the Catholic Bishop of Constantinople. The storms have always raged against God's children. They always will.  This man was persecuted for his attempts at reform. He wrote, "I have only contempt for the world's threats, I find its blessings laughable. I have no fear of poverty, no desire for wealth." As I write this there is a hurricane ripping the state of Texas, but even more important, there is a hurricane always ripping the world of our spiritual lives. We can find no shelter from this storm except in our Lord and His Church. St. John wrote, "I hold to this promise and read His message; this is my protecting wall and garrison. What message? Know that I am with you always, until the end of the world!
 
wkm 

No comments: