Saturday, September 25, 2010

New Orleans in the daylight..



sitting in New Orleans,
with the Oxford blues again..
my son and i went to a concert here last night,
Eric Church and Hank Williams Jr.,
Eric was really good,
great stage presence,
very good songs, great band,
Hank was his gregarious, hilarious,
narcissistic self..
which is his shtick,
i have a growing love affair with this town,
New Orleans is so unique among American cities,
"laid back" is an understatement,
and the best time to walk around the Big Easy?
early in the morning..
i walked down to Canal to the IHOP,
having some oatmeal now,
earlier I walked down Bourbon Street,
which is very strange in the morning light,
before the tourist hit the streets,
I spoke to garbage collectors about the Saints,
we high fived agreeing they are the best team in the NFL,
Rachel, my waitress, is very sweet,
she keeps calling me honey..
she just asked me about the book i have with me,
"Bob Dylan in America"..
I asked her if she knew Bob Dylan's music,
she said she thought so and asked me to name some of his songs..
she stopped me at "Knockin on Heaven's Door" and said,
ain't that a Jay Z song?

wkm
New Orleans

No comments: