Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Bull



I walked out to the barn in the early light and saddled Cisco.
It was a beautiful morning and I decided to ride to town.
Ever since the first time Steve and I did it, 
I've made it an every now and then occurence.
It stirs things up around the square,
gives folks something to talk about,
plus it's great for the horse I am working with.
It's the kind of thing my old man liked,
he laughed when I told him about the time Steve and I rode to the bank.
But I didn't make it to the square today...
When Cisco and I turned out of the driveway I saw him.
He looked bigger than ever,
as black as night.
He was chewing some bright green summer grass, 
staring at us.
Instead of heading to the left which is the direction of town,
we headed right, toward the entrance to the field where he lives.
I wanted to thank the bull.
If he hadn't broke into our field that cold winter morning,
my beautiful Anne might no longer be with me.
"God works in mysterious ways Cisco"..
The bull didn't seem bothered at all that we were coming toward him.
We walked slowly, not wanting to threaten him.
He kept grazing and watched us without any sign of anxiety.
We got about 10 feet from the black giant and stopped.
"You remember us big boy?"
Cisco lowered his head and got a mouthful of sweet grass..
I sat there on Cisco in the quiet,
as thankful as a man could possibly be.

Jesse
Oxford
The End

wkm
The Horses
Nashville

Hey folks, I am going to continue writing this story. I appreciate all the kind words and wonderful comments from so many of you as I have been developing it. It has become a real passion and I am seeing many places I need to go  with characters old and some new you have yet to be introduced to. I will let you know when it is finished.



No comments: