Thursday, August 28, 2008

Beauty ever ancient, ever new...

St. Augustine is my Patron Saint. He was a Bishop in the 5th century in Africa. A patron is someone you look up to, want to emulate, learn from, get to know, and ask the prayers of. Today is his feast day, the day he crossed over into the "Beauty ever ancient, ever new...". I chose Augustine for my patron because his heart was a heart of confession. He came late to the Catholic faith, "Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved You! You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there I searched for you." When I was on my journey to the Catholic Church, I remember reading these words of Augustine and my heart broke. His words became my words in that moment. He goes on to say, "I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.". I chose him not because I am like him but because I want to be like him. St. Augustine, pray for me that I will open my heart, my mind, and my life more and more to this "Beauty ever ancient, ever new...".
 
wkm 

No comments: