Thursday, September 3, 2009

my penance

there are moments when someone is talking and i do not hear them
i hear them, but i am hearing something else too
what they are not saying is sometimes more pronounced
more intelligible, more true
but we all do this
we move our lips,
but we say something else
i was wondering today about something I had heard me say
i said, "that was a meaningless lie"
I was speaking of a lie i had told
my friend asked me the most profound question,
"Is there such a thing as a lie with meaning?"
i have thought about this all day..
i could justify this or that lie for some "good" purpose,
but where is trust in that?
where is my "better angels" in that?
where is the image of God in that?
maybe i should either keep my mouth closed,
or simply always tell the truth,
no matter how it may make me look for feel,
i think in doing this, i would be closer the heart of our Beloved.
 
wkm

No comments: