Monday, March 26, 2012

Gates of Dignity

I was just watching a video on youtube about Leonard Cohen's journey into Zen Buddhism..
He found help for his chronic depression and self destructive lifestyle..

I felt a wind in my study as I watched, a cool wind blew upon my right shoulder
And please know there is no wind here as I write this..

I am Catholic, and I am religious, not "spiritual" like I used to say..
I am a religious being who needs ritual, liturgy, ancient traditions that are ever new..the Mass..

The wind made me think of Pentecost..not the Pentecostal church in American culture,
but the moment when the Apostles knew language didn't matter..

It caused me pause and deep joy and humility about being Catholic..
the beauty of the "Ancient ever New"..

It is something Hell will never overcome..
something Hell looks upon with curiosity and awe..(even the demons believe, and they shudder)

no matter how many Luthers or Calvins hell encourages in their "good" pursuits,
it will never overcome the gates of mercy built by the loving Jesus given to the world through the fisherman Peter....

These are beautifully strong gates which invite all to enter.
Gates of incredible bloody wounds and scars that keep no one who wants in,, out..

These are gates of mercy, beauty, grace, and love,
Justice, sin forgiven, and sinners groping for a life of beauty, and deep holiness amidst the struggle..., 

Of those desiring the field so they can have the treasure..
Giving all, selling all, ahhhhhh, God help me, I am weak beyond my weakness..

wkm
Oxford MS
For Thomas Merton

1 comment:

Rachel M. Gohlman said...

This is absolutely beautiful!!