Friday, August 7, 2009

curious

as a young boy growing up in mississippi i was curious about everything
my dogs always amazed me with how they interacted with one another
i had a black-n-tan hound named sam,
two border collies named jake and delia,
a german shepherd named lady,
and a full grown collie named Lad
they went with me everywhere on our 60 acres of hills, trees, streams, and a lake
the horses would follow us when we walked through the pasture
even a few cows would tag along
we must have looked funny to the passers by on the old black top road that ran along our fence line
a young boy leading his animal parade
sometimes my mother would have to come find me just after dark
i wouldn't hear her call when i was lying on my back with my head on lad for a pillow
these dogs protected me as i daydreamed and explored the piney woods and rolling hills
sometimes i would lie in the woods and look up at the tops of trees
or in a field where the dogs and i would watch the sky turn from blue to black,
waiting for the first star to appear
I am still curious about things, 
but not as much as i should be.
 
wkm

No comments: