Saturday, August 15, 2009

George

the old man looked at me with one eye closed
"you can't and won't ever figure out the Lord's way of thinkin"
i agreed with him 
 he took a swig of the bottled water I had given him
we sat for a few minutes by the side of the road watching cars speed by
his name is George
he picks up cans along hwy 6 once a week
he uses the money for food and beer
we have been in Oxford for 9 years,
 George was here long before that
i don't stop often enough to say hello 
 he is always talking when he walks the roadside
i asked him once who he was talking to
"the Almighty!"
i felt pretty dumb for asking
people think he is crazy
i think we are all a bit crazy
he tells me i would be surprised how much money he makes in an afternoon
"and dang if i don't make this old road look better!"
as I ride away on my bike he goes back to picking up cans,
and talking to the Almighty.
 
wkm
 
 

No comments: