Friday, January 21, 2011

Good to be home..

 
Anne was up when Jesse pulled around to the barn.
She was making coffee..
Russ ran out to the truck to greet him.
"Hey boy, it's cold out here."
Russ ran out into the woods,
hunting squirrel.
Jesse watched as he leaped and hopped over fallen limbs.
Anne came to the back door and called out,
"Hey sweety, I have coffee made."
"I will be in in a second Shuug"
He walked into the barn and over to the stalls.
Cisco and Texas nickered low..
"Hey fellas, it's good to be back home."
Cisco rested his lips on Jesse's arm and pretended to nibble,
something horses do to one another out in the field..
not quite a sign of affection, but something akin to it.
He broke the ice on the top of their water buckets and walked to the house.
Anne handed him a cup of coffee when he sat down at the kitchen table.
"Was everyone glad you came?"
"It was a big crowd, James had a lot more friends than I realized.
His wife and kids were glad to see me.
Harold told me he always thought he would go before James, him being the oldest.
I guess all older brothers think that way."
"Did you sing a song at the funeral?"
"I sang Broken Wing, it was his favorite, at least he told me once it was.
I almost lost it a couple of times, but I got through it.
It's so strange knowing he is gone...it's bothering me more than I thought it would."
Anne put her arms around him and kissed him on the back of the neck.
She took his hand and led him down the hallway to the bedroom.
 
wkm
nashville

No comments: