Monday, January 10, 2011

Header Heeler ( The End for now)

Anne woke up and made coffee.
There was a dull ache in the back of her head.
She took two of the pills Eric had prescribed...
Russ sat at her feet hoping for a treat..
the screen door opened..
Jesse walked through the kitchen door with a grin on his face.
"Did you and Steve get the bull put back?"
"We ended up having to rope that big son of a gun!"
Jesse poured a cup of coffee..
'Everything was going smoothly, we got him down to the entrance without a hitch.
He even walked onto the plywood, but he stopped.
We both pressed in on him to get him moving again..
But instead of going forward he backed up.
Steve let the loop out of his rope..
I was ready with my rope..
He roped his head and I roped his back feet..
Heck, we've done it so many times working his calves together,
it was a natural reaction.
Steve went across the plywood and dallied tight to the horn,
pulling him forward..
I got right on the bull's rear end with my rope lifted high..
His back feet were barely touching the ground..
We just scooted him nice and easy across..
Steve didn't want to lose his rope so he told me to cross him over and lay him down..
I have done this many times with young steers and calves but never a bull this size..
Steve kept the his rope tout and I'll be danged if I didn't flip him on his side!!
I jumped off and ran down the rope line,
Cisco kept it tight on his back legs..
Steve allowed some slack in his rope and I removed the loop..
The bull was confused as to it all happened so quick..
Cisco kept him busy by keeping the rope to his back legs pulled tight..
I ran back along the rope line and climbed in the saddle and Cisco stopped pulling..
I got my rope off easy enough..
That bad boy will think twice about coming back over here..

wkm
nashville

No comments: