Monday, January 24, 2011

it was what it was

 
It's funny how the mind works..
or how it doesn't work.
I think my old man had a lot of stuff going on,
going on inside.
He and my momma drifted apart after they made a bunch of money,
after they went from being poor to having stuff.
He earned every penny hanging drywall,
the hardest working man I ever knew.
Momma managed the business.
They were a team, and then they weren't.
He started drinking and sleeping in the barn.
When they were together they were either silent or arguing about something.
I have so many blank spots in my memory about it,
like I can't remember,
like something inside won't let me.
It's rough on a kid, on an only child especially..
to see his world slowly disappearing right before his eyes.
I went from 60 acres, 4 horses, 5 dogs, and all my friends, to a 600 square foot apt in Meridian Ms.
literally overnight..my momma kidnapped me one Saturday afternoon.
I rode my motorcycle to a friends house and she was waiting there.
She ran out and almost knocked me off the bike when she hugged me.
She was crying..
She drove a light green Mark 3 Lincoln Continental with a black vinyl top.
I remember looking back at my dogs in my friends yard as we drove away..
I never saw them again..
and my old man never tried to get me back.
But hey, it is what is, or,
it was what it was..
 
Jesse
Oxford
 
wkm
from The Horses

No comments: