Thursday, December 10, 2009

really cold

32 degrees here today
my dog Jack and i walked for an hour
the wind off the lake was rough
I am thinking about buying Jack a jacket
he has short hair and looks cold
he beats me back to the truck in this weather,
waiting with his little tail wagging
looking up at the driver side door
jumping in the second i open it
i saw a man sitting on a bench
probably in his fifties
his green scarf covered his mouth
he had on an old style brown felt hat
like my grandfather wore
and i wear often myself
he stared at the lake...
for some reason,
he seemed sad the way he was sitting
Jack went over to him as we passed
he looked up at me for a brief moment
he nodded, i nodded,
then he pulled his gloved hand from his dark brown canvas coat
he reached down and gave Jack a pat on the head
  he smiled for a second
"it's cold" i said
"really cold" he agreed as he rubbed Jacks head.

wkm

No comments: