Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chester



there was a very old pony named Chester

Hazel kept him after Paw Paw died.
she sold the red mules and the goats
Chester lived for many years in the field,,
he became like a wild animal,
as invisible as a Buck,
he would only come out of the thick piney woods to see Hazel..
he wouldn't come if anyone was with her.
he seemed very happy to me as a child,
he would run through the field bucking and playing..
being an only child i also had to learn how to play alone..
one day in winter i was walking through the field,
the brown grass was high and the wind blew cold,
the dried alfalfa made a soft rustling sound in the quiet of the day.
I felt someone was watching me,
I slowly turned and saw Chester was following me..
i slowed down,
 soon he was right behind me..
he put his nose on my back and nudged me,
he smelled wonderful,
like winter, earth, and soil..
clean and wild..
i put my hand on his neck and he let me pet him,
i did so till just before dark..

wkm
Nashville

No comments: