Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Cruise


The laughter from the outside lounge drew him..
he saw her standing alone near the railing.
She looked bored, a blank stare out into the dark endless sea..
He walked over while he lit his cigarette..
"Would you like one?'
"No thank you, I have my own."
She looked up into his eyes and smiled..
"How do you like the cruise so far?"
"I hate cruises..it's like being trapped in a bad dream."
She laughed..
"Then why are you here?"
"I was hired to do three shows a night on the upper deck,
a private party musician, failed singer/songwriter from Nashville."
She took out one of her Nat Sherman Naturals,
he lit it when she put it to her lips.
"Why are you in this bad dream?'
She released a fine silver cloud of smoke,
"The company I work for sent four of us, 
a reward for our sales, we were the top four rookies over the past year."
He bowed and congratulated her..
She laughed and returned his bow with one of her own.

wkm
Nashville

No comments: