Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lament


The last notes of the song faded into the distance
the traveling minstrels topped the hill and disappeared
the raw lament brought tears to the eyes of an old man watching them leave
He had lost hope for the times he lived in..
the song was about a Calvary soldier from the Civil War,
his horse had been shot out from under him,
he had been bayoneted lying on the ground
In the song a Confederate soldier found a letter in the dead mans coat..
"My dear Sarah, I am glad to hear our son is fine,
I had prayed daily, even in battle, for mercy on his young life.
I am sure the Lord of Heaven hears many prayers like this,
and for some reason her heard mine. I am so grateful.
I now pray to for this war to end soon, 
and that I might hold you in my arms again.
And should I fall, my only regret will be not seeing you again."

wkm
Nashville

No comments: