Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lancelot the Quarter Horse


Growing up in Central Mississippi,
I was an only child.
My imagination was my playground amidst and within the surroundings..
Horses and dogs were my brothers and sisters..
they were unconditional in their love.
I blocked out the sadness I felt the day we parted.
Today, for some reason, it came rushing back to me out of nowhere.
Sam the Hound, Lady the German Shepherd, Lad the Collie..
KoKo the Shetland Pony, Lancelot the Quarter Horse, John the Palomino..
In one day they were no longer in my life,
and I never saw them again..
All because my parents could no longer live together..
the damn divorce..
It hurts even now to think what my dogs and horses must have wondered..
What happened to them?
This life is a gift to all of us,
it is a shame how we sometimes treat it..
and the scars we carry are somehow the very things that make us who we are..
for good or ill..

wkm
Nashville

No comments: