Friday, March 27, 2009

Pilgrimage Turkey, Greece summation:


When we landed in Istanbul, I knew we were in for something wonderful. For one thing, the journey from Minneapolis was long. We flew to Chicago, from Chicago to Munich, then Munich to Istanbul. We were tired and it was cold. Jeff Cavins told us the first talk he gave that a pilgrimage is not a vacation, it is a journey with a goal in mind. Our goal was immense over 12 days. We visited the Churches St. John wrote to in Revelation, then we followed in the never ending footsteps of St. Paul. These two men changed the world because they brought Jesus to Asia Minor. Asia Minor was the stepping stone that lead St. Paul to Macedonia, which is Greece, which was and still is the door to Europe and the west. To know that St. Paul traveled 6400 miles on foot in a very short time is mind boggling. He was truly driven by love.

Every day we experienced a new sense of how this world is an amazing place. Istanbul is one of the most unique cities in the world. It is the only city to border two continents. It holds a mere 17 million people, and I bet there are close to a million dogs living among the ruins and cities. These dogs looked healthy and happy. They people of Istanbul seem to take pride in their roaming dogs and care for them. Greece takes in one step further and vaccines, spays, and neuters their street dogs. The dogs seemed to appreciate the care. Some of them even turned down an offer of fresh bread, I guess they were tired of bread. The people of Turkey were incredible. Our two guides were two of the nicest guys I have ever met. They were young, intelligent, and humble. They treated everyone with kindness. I had never been on a guided tour before, and I was spoiled forever by D'Hahn. The weather was mostly beautiful, and chilly. The wind howls through the ruins wherever you go.

Ephesus was my favorite because it brought us to Mary's house. St. John had brought her with him on his journey, as Jesus told him to take care of her. The house there is so small and humble. It sits atop a mountain and the view is remarkable. The one word that describes it best is silence. There was a peace there that I did not feel anywhere else, maybe anywhere ever. We celebrated Mass where Pope John Paul 2, and Pope Benedict 16 had. This is a moment I will carry forever. There was a great pain mixed with the comfort I felt that day. Thank You Jesus!

I never really got tired of all of the ruins. The broken columns, alters, theatres, the dogs, and cats, it was always unique in every place. Sardis, Laodicia, Collosae, Sardis, Thyratira, Ephesus, Smyrna, Troy, Troas, and then on to Greece. Alexandroupolis was quaint little seaside city. I could have stayed there longer. The cafe's were wonderful. I never tasted Calamari like that. Phillipi was awesome. I have pics of the jail St. Paul was held in. Athens brought us to Mars Hill. Jeff Cavins was visibly moved by being there and getting to preach the gospel from the very spot St. Paul did. Many people stopped and listened. I kept thinking this must mot be far removed from what it might have been like with St. Paul. Corinth was the last place of St. Paul we visited. I will never be able to read the letters the same way again. Jeff brought it all to life and put everything in a context I had never heard. It was incredible! We then celebrated the very Eucharist that St. Paul had written about in his first letter. I had chill bumps, or, as Jeff calls them, "God Bumps".

I could write for days about the food both in Turkey and Greece. Lamb is the main meat, and it is wonderful. I can't describe the flavors. You have to ask for red pepper, and when I realized this, my food got even better! When we ate our first Greek salads I remember thinking, 'Why don't Greek Salads taste like this at home?' There were fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, feta, and delicious olive oil at every meal; and, the desserts were so delectable they would make you slap your momma! I think I gained a couple of kilos.

The ruins, from Sardis to the Acropolis made me think of one thing, mortality. These stones are the bones of souls who have passed on. I kept thinking about the people who built them, mostly slaves, and their work reminds us that we all are passing through. We are all, every moment, always on a pilgrimage. We are always heading toward eternity. I also thought a great deal of St. John and St. Paul' passion for telling everyone about God's love. They had their hope in Jesus and they didn't love this life more than the one they were journeying toward. I think the main thing I learned and carry with me is that our pilgrimage is very simple. By grace, we are walking toward life forever with Jesus, and He is calling us to bring as many with us as we can. This is what St. Paul and St. John lived for. When you travel with 85 wonderful people like I did, you realize that truth, humility, kindness, and care are really what this path we walk needs more than anything else. And this comes from pressing in to Jesus as we go. Glory to His lovely Name.

peace of Jesus,
keith
Oxford MS, March 28, 2009



No comments: