Tuesday, April 14, 2009

O Happy Fault!

It is such a folly to pass one's time fretting, instead of resting quietly on the heart of Jesus.- St. Therese of Lisieux
 
I sometimes wonder when I read some of these Saints, "how on earth did you do this!?" I especially mean this about St. Therese of Lisieux. Her suffering was so intense and so long. She struggled with doubts at the very end, but she kept on saying things like this. In other words, she was either nuts, or she was truly in love. We try and try to do the right thing and then we fail. We struggle against the same old sins every day, and so many times they get the best of us. What would St. Therese say to these failings after she had repented and made a good confession? She would cry out, "O happy fault!". This little girl, who is now a Doctor of the Church, of which there are only 33 in 2000 years, truly believed that she was loved. That was the secret to her faith. In fact, this is the secret of every saint, they know they are loved. Some days I struggle with this. This is why I am so weak at times. But I will say with Paul, "when I am weak, He is strong." St. Therese, pray for us.  He is Risen!
 
wkm
 
 
 
 

No comments: