Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sideways

Sideways
 
i do not pretend to understand what is happening
life comes at you sideways and nothing seems as clear as you once thought it to be
even the reflection in the mirror is somewhat suspect
my dogs still recognize me, even the two big dogs who will soon be lying around someone else's yard
i will miss them terribly
maybe I look the same to them as I always did,
before this strange wind began to blow
i wonder if they sense my occasional waves of sadness
i walked out this morning and looked at what will soon be only a dear memory
the pasture, fence, pond, trees, the good loneliness, the beauty of this solitude
it will be for someone else to gaze upon
i only hope they become as much part of it as i have for the past 8 years,
years for which i am most grateful,
i will not spend another winter here.
 
wkm

No comments: