Monday, February 23, 2009

Abide

He who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.---  St. John, his first letter, chapter 4.

Pope John Paul said, "...the final goal of every Christian vocation is love.." We must call upon Jesus for strength to abide in love. It is so easy to say we will, and in our zeal, we sometimes think this is simple to do. Nothing simple is ever easy. We are masters at complicating God's love for us. But here is the key to abiding, when we begin to grasp how much we are loved. Every time I realize how much He has forgiven me, I want to abide in Him with gratitude and affection. But when I forget how much I have been forgiven, I easily drift away into my own little world. This is why it so important to have friends who love God, or at least, who try to love God. It is also important to go to daily Mass as often as possible for our Lord said in St. John's gospel chapter 6, "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in Me, and I in him." As soon as you start making excuses not to go, you will soon start drifting. Study the Gospels, and meditate on the life of St. Paul. Pray pray pray!. If I could do anything more in my life, it would be to pray more than I do.  Abide is such a strong word. It is so much more than being with someone, it is an intense nearness that St. John is calling us to. And only love can bring us to this.

wkm



No comments: