Thursday, February 5, 2009

Signs Of God's Mercy...

The very contradictions in my life are in some ways signs of God's mercy to me. --Thomas Merton
 
I probably read this quote from Merton when I was in my 20's. I probably wondered then what he meant.  I barely know now, but I have some sense of what he meant. Paul said it like this, " The very things I want to do I do not do, the things I hate I end up doing. Who will free me from this body of sin and death? ...Jesus Christ."  Merton was incredibly honest about his struggles, as was St. Paul. The Son of God didn't become a man so that we could figure out how not to sin, He became a man so that we could learn how to love. The contradictions of life happen within us, not around us. We learn that our need is our greatest hope. As we learn to love, we sin less. When I feel like Merton and Paul, I have a choice to make. Will I love and trust that God loves me even when I feel like I am betraying Him with my bitterness and anger, or, will I turn my eyes and heart away from God when I feel like I am betraying Him with my bitterness and anger? Knowing He loves me helps me to stay with Him even when I don't feel like it. These are signs of God's mercy.
 
wkm
 
http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/shows/merton/mertonpics.html

No comments: